NOTICE: Account creation on the wiki has been temporarily disabled until the wiki is moved to OpenID. If you need an account before then, please request one here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165868
Windows File Sharing, (also known as Common Internet File System [CIFS] or Server Message Block [SMB]), is probably the most flexible of all of the options for sharing media between your computer or a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device and XBMC.
- SMB/SAMBA/CIFS sharing has many advantages over the other options, mainly:
- It is already incorporated in Windows, eliminating the need for additional software and services to be installed on your PC
- It allows for authentication by Windows username and password, making it good for use on public networks
- Once properly configured, it will allow your network shares to be seen and accessed by not only XBMC, but also any Windows machine on your network.
1 Setting up SMB
- SMB/Windows - Setting up SMB on Windows
- SMB/Mac - Setting up SMB on Mac OS X
- Samba - Setting up SMB in Linux