1 Enabling SMB sharing
- Once you have your Network settings configured to communicate with XBMC you need to enable Windows Sharing through System Preferences by:
- Navigating to the Sharing panel.
- On the left, under Service, select "File Sharing" and turn it On if it's not already enabled.
- Select "Options" and check "Share Files and Folders using SMB (Windows)" and
- Below, check the boxes of any accounts you want to give SMB access to then click Done.
- Windows Sharing should now show as "On" with a green light next to it. Add folders, users and permissions in the boxes below.
You have now enabled Windows Sharing on Mac OS X for the specific accounts you enabled in the Sharing panel. If you want to give public access (i.e. no password required) to shares you need to enable "Allow guests to connect to shared folders" for the Guest account in System Preferences under Accounts. Now you can configure this share by adding a media source in the XBMC GUI.
2 Mac OS X 10.7 and up
Apple changed their SMB/Samba server in Mac OS X 10.7 which broke compatibility with XBMC until XBMC v12.1 came out. Then it broke again in Mac OS X 10.9.
Use SMBUp to enable a working SMB server on Mac OS X 10.9. For other OS X versions, use XBMC v12.1 or higher.