Raspbmc is an XBMC and linux-based OS distribution for Raspberry Pi, created and maintained by Sam Nazarko.
1 Main features
- Custom Linux distribution with minimalised kernel.
- UI installers for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X to allow installation onto am removable device (like USB key or external Hard drive), and NFS share
- PVR / AirTunes / AirPlay integration
- Many addons will work on Raspbmc including SpotiMC for Spotify support
- Same stability and support as the Crystalbuntu Linux distribution
- AFP, NFS and SMB file sharing
- Configuration utility allowing installation of custom nightlies, audio configuration, update management,
- Server mode – allows MySQL database hosting and Thumbnail sharing for XBMC multiseat systems.
- 1080p decoding
2 Installing Raspbmc
3 Updating Raspbmc
Raspbmc auto-updates itself, as long as version 1.0 Final (or later) is installed and the option 'Keep Raspbmc updated' is enabled in Raspbmc settings under System Configuration. This only takes place if the release build of XBMC is being used. If you have updated to a nightly version then you have to switch back to the release build via the Raspbmc Settings plugin for it to auto-update.
4 Back Up Configuration/settings
- Login to the pi and, from the /home/pi/ dir, type:
tar -czf backup.tar.gz .xbmc/
- Transfer that file to a secondary machine (ftp, sftp, or scp are all viable options)
Put back the backup on the system:
- Return the tar file you copied in step 2 to the Raspberry Pi
- Run the following commands:
sudo initctl stop xbmc; tar -xzf backup.tar.gz; rm backup.tar.gz; sudo initctl start xbmc
5 Further reading
- http://www.raspbmc.com - Project home
- http://forum.stmlabs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7 - Raspbmc support forums
- http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/604- Raspbmc announcement from RaspberryPi.org
- forum.xbmc.org thread about Raspbmc