HOW-TO:Install XBMC on iPad/iPhone/iPod touch
The current stable release of XBMC for iOS is v11 (Eden).
- To install XBMC for iOS you must have a jailbroken iDevice running iOS 4.0 through 6.1.
- For hardware: iPad (1,2,3,4), iPad Mini, iPhone (3GS*, 4, 4S, 5) iPod touch (3-16GB*, 3-32GB*, 4, 5). *iPhone 3GS/iPod touch 3 might work still, but iPhone 4/iPod touch 4 and higher is recommended.
- If you have any issues, be sure to read the iOS FAQ!
1 Installing from Cydia
And you're done! You should now be running XBMC v11 (Eden) for Apple TV 2. See here to verify your XBMC version.
Updates for stable releases of XBMC are handled by Cydia and will show up in the "Changes" section when available.
3 Nightly builds
Nightly builds are unstable test builds that have the latest bug fixes and feature additions. They are not fully tested, so anticipate issues and be sure to backup your userdata folder.
3.1 Installing from the command line
NOTE: You MUST install the stable version before you can install a nightly build. You only need to install the stable version once and you don't need to uninstall previous versions to upgrade (or downgrade) XBMC.
- Open http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/ios/ in a web browser and copy the url of the most recent file in that listing.
- Open up your terminal/ssh application and enter the following commands:
- You will be asked for a password: default password is alpine
- Continue to enter the following commands:
rm -f xbmc*.deb
curl -O -L URL-FROM-STEP-1-HERE
curl -O -L http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/ios/xbmc-20111202-6729214-master-ios.deb
dpkg -i xbmc*.deb
And you're done! You should now have the latest nightly build of XBMC for iOS. See here to verify your XBMC version.
3.2 Monthly builds
3.3 Installing from a GUI
This page or section is incomplete. Please add information or correct uncertain data which is marked with a ?
4.1 Uninstalling just XBMC
You're all done. XBMC will now be uninstalled from your iDevice. If you want you can also uninstall XBMC-IconPack using the same method.
4.2 Removing settings
- From the terminal, run
rm -Rf /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/
- From iFile