|General topics||Basic controls||File manager|
XBMC has a built-in filemanager which lets you transfer/copy/move/delete/rename/create files or folders on your local hard drive, or any of XBMC's supported file sharing protocols as long as you have correct permission on remote shares to read/write to all files. You also would need to setup XBMC to Allow rename and file deletion see Settings/Appearance#File lists if you wish to perform rename/delete operations.
- See: File sharing
2 The file manager View
XBMC File manager is similar to Windows Explorer. It allows you to do the following:
- Add items to favourites
- Copy Files and/or Folders
- Move Files and/or Folders
- Delete Files or Folders
- Rename Files or Folders
- Create Folders
- Switch to Settings/other views
- Calculate size of Local folders.
When you open up File Manager, you will notice that the screen is split into two halves. The left-hand side is where you work with files and perform actions on them. The right-hand side is where you select the destination if you are copying or moving files. You can switch between the two sides by pressing Keyboard navigation and operationon the remote or ← → on keyboard. For Full navigation Via keyboard see also:
3 Selecting Files
You have the option of working with single files or multiple files at the same time.
- Single File
- Simply the file or folder you want to work with by highlighting it.
- Multiple Files
- the file or folder you want to work with by highlighting it and pressing, on remote -or- Space on the keyboard.
You will notice that the filename has turned Yellow. This means that the file is selected.
Continue to the next file that you wish to select and do the same.
4 The Context Menu
You perform actions on your files using the Context Menu. In order to use the Context Menu, Select the files that you wish to work with. Then, press the C or ⊞ Win button on keyboard or on the remote. This will bring up the context menu, pictured on the left. The following options are available:
- Select All
- Selects every file in the current folder. Pressing it again will deselect all.
- Add to favourites
- Adds selected to favourites menu. see also: Favourites
- Allows you to change the name of the file.
- Allows you to remove the file. Beware, XBMC does not have a 'recycle bin', so once deleted, a file is unrecoverable.
- Will copy the selected file or folder to the location open on the right-hand side of the screen. Note: permissions required for the network shares operations.
- Will move the selected file or folder to the location open on the right-hand side of the screen. Note: permissions required for the network shares operations.
- Make new folder
- Will create a new folder.
- Calculate Size
- Displays the size of the currently selected folder.
- Will Move you to XBMC settings menu
- Go to root
- Will switch view in file-manager to put you in root/source ?
- Switch media
- Description ?
5 Tips and tricks
- Use playlists to copy sets of files over: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=153683
6 Video tutorials
Some basics of the file manager are explained here in a tutorial on using it to access the debug log: