NOTICE: Account creation on the wiki has been temporarily disabled until the wiki is moved to OpenID. If you need an account before then, please request one here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165868
Weather forecast data scraped from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology via WeatherZone - www.bom.gov.au and www.weatherzone.com.au. For full features (e.g. radar) make sure you install the skin file you can find in the addon directory. Contributed files for other skins welcome.
To install this add-on you must do so from the Add-on Manager from within XBMC by going to:
- Get add-ons
- XBMC.org Add-ons
- Weather information
- Oz Weather
This Add On (for XBMC 11 (Eden), 12 (Frodo), and above) is based on Ronie's new default weather add on for XBMC.
Support, discussion, release notification:on the xbmc forum thread.
It has been adapted to source it's data from the BOM (Australian Bureau of Meteorology) - as this is really the only authoritative weather data in Australia.
- Live BOM radar maps
- 7 Day Forecasts
- Today's extended forecast
- Direct access to 'ABC National Weather Update in 90 Seconds'
- Mini weather when you pause video etc. if you want
It looks like this (although usually with more rain clouds here in Melbourne!!):
Go into Get More Add-Ons and choose Weather -> OzWeather... (Oz Weather is now in the official XBMC repo for Eden).
To Configure - First, go to XBMC settings->Weather and choose the OzWeather add on as your weather add on. In the add on settings you can add up to three locations - you do this using their postcode - it will prompt you with matching locations if more than one area uses that postcode.
If you enable the extended features (see skin changes required below!) - then you need to direct input the BOM radar codes for the radar's you want displayed. Go to the BOM site and find the radar you want, then check the url:
...the code you need to enter (precisely) is IDR023
...there is also a list of Radar IDs and what they are on the BOM site here. Note not all codes actually work all the time, as some radars are only in part time use. The main capital city ones work well, e.g. IDR023 above which is the Melbourne 128km loop, or try IDR00004 for a nice national radar.
List of radar codes from BOM site here.
Notes If you get just the rain and no backgrounds on your radar, re-start XBMC and it will reload the skin & textures and the radar should come up ok. Don't hammer the location/refresh button - it can take up to 30 seconds or so to update, and you can confuse it if you go too fast...
1.3 Skin Changes
If you enable the long forecasts & radar, skin changes are needed. You just need to copy some files into yout skin/720p folder. Note this MIGHT break compatibility with other weather add ons, so best to back up the original files first if you're worried about this.
Download the zip for Confluence in Frodo here.
(alternate version if you want the ABC video to have a button rather than be in the side panel - contributed by Pan2 - here.
Download the zip for Eden here.
In this zip are three files (two only for Frodo), MyWeather.xml, DialogSeekBar.xml and (for Eden only) Font.xml - these much be copied to the 720p folder in your local Confluence installation folder. Re-start XBMC after doing this so it reloads the skin files.
(If you are using openelec like me, you will find the system Confluence folder is not writeable, so I suggest you copy the system Confluence skin to your add ons directory, change the name in addon.xml, and start using your own modded Confluence!).
In the blade menu on the left you will also find a link to ABC's Weather in 90 Seconds video.
There is also an optional DialogSeekBar.xml that you can use if you want a mini forecast on your pause screen (shows radar map, current temp, predicted high, overnight low and tomorrow high).
Contributed by forum user hastarin - thanks!
Download the zip here.
Contributions gratefully accepted - post them to the forum thread and I will add them here!
1.4 Release Info
- 22nd June 2012 - added updated Frodo skin files to Wiki
- 31st May 2012 - 0.3.8 - Gets some more radars, minor fixes, see changelog
- 20th March 2012 - 0.3.7 - OzWeather is now available from the official XBMC repository
- 7th March 2012 - 0.3.7 - Moved this page to wiki
- 20th Jan 2012 - 0.3.1 - Pinched some Weather+ code and added ABC weather videos - copy the new MyWeather.xml to you r720p folder as normal!
- 19th Jan 2012 - 0.2.7 - Deals with WeatherZone not supplying data
- 18th Jan 2012 - Release 0.2.3 - Bug fixes. Limited workaround - background support for ATV2 wierdness with the Python Image Library. On other systems backgrounds now have topography and radar range indicators. Better updates, as properties are now cleared before each forecast.
- 16th Jan 2012 - Release 0.1.9 - first release with radar and 7 day forecasts!
- 11th Jan 2012 - Release 0.1.1 - moved repo to Google Code and fixed some minor buglets with icons, and improved fire warnings.
- 16th Dec 2011 - Release 0.0.7 - now in a repository for easy automatic updates!
- 16th Dec 2011 - Release 0.0.4 - initial release
Any issues, please post them on the xbmc forum thread.