Allow syncronized Streaming of Audio and Video from XBMC
1 As of 10/27/2011 this add-on is broken
The purpose of this plugin is to facilitate the implementation and framework for a True Multi-Room "Syncronized Audio" AND Video solution for XBMC. VLC was chosen as the program of choice for this effort; not only does VLC support just about all audio and video formats very well but it provides the inherent capability to provide client/server streaming synchronization over the local network which means that no "out-of-phase" audio issues for those that have more than one XBMC box.
This add-on is in the 2nd release. Features include:
- Full support for streaming both Video and Audio
- Plugin settings dialogue for initial setup of streaming server
- Creates a custom playercorefactory.xml file in userdata directory for tighter integration with XBMC
- Stops media on native XBMC when activating a client
- Notification for client - Activate / Deactivated
2 To Do's:
- Source playing dialogue/popup after activating Audio source
- Integration of vlc.py script for native VLC control from within XBMC
- Even tighter and seamless operation within XBMC
- Deletion of associated source config files when removing an AV Source
There are a lot of different ways to stream audio throughout the home but THE KEY is Synchronized AUDIO!!!!
This plugin requires the following:
NiX (Ubuntu Karmic and Lucid have been thoroughly tested) on XBMC 9.11 (Camelot) or higher xdotool (do: sudo apt-get install xdotool ) No configuration is necessary wmctrl (do: sudo apt-get install xdotool ) No configuration is necessary xterm (Should already be included in your Ubuntu dist) VLC 1.0 or higher (do: sudo apt-get vlc vlc-plugin )
To use the plugin to stream a video throughout the house...
- Goto the MultiroomAudio plugin and activate the Localhost client (created earlier)
- Once activated, goto you video section and navigate to a video that you want to play/stream... select the context menu for the item and select "play using" and choose Video_Stream.... viola! now you are streaming video
- You can now goto other XBMC's and use the plugin loaded on them to listen in provided that you have created a source to use. ;-)
You can use the same process described above for music as well. At this time, the plugin only supports streaming one media file at a time unless you create a playlist and use that to pass onto the streamer using the "play using"