Add-on:Dbmc (Dropbox add-on)
|Add-ons||Dbmc (Dropbox add-on)|
|See Dbmc (Dropbox add-on) on the XBMC Forum for more information.|
View files from your Dropbox account. This addon can access to all files and folders in your Dropbox account. Dbmc is not affiliated with or otherwise sponsored by Dropbox, Inc.
To install this add-on you must do so from the Add-on manager from within XBMC by going to:
- Get add-ons
- XBMC.org Add-ons
- Music Add-ons, Video Add-ons, Program Add-ons, or Picture Add-ons
- Dbmc (Dropbox add-on)
- Browse your dropbox files and folders in the Pictures, Videos, Music and Programs menus
- Pictures: View dropbox pictures (with slideshow of XBMC)
- Videos: View dropbox videos
- Music: Play dropbox music
- Programs: Browse all files and folders
- Dropbox files are cached to local disk/location for smooth performance
In the add-on settings menu there is a option to stream video and music media. When enabled, video and music media are not cached but directly streamed from your Dropbox account. Dropbox doesn't support picture 'streaming', so picture's are always cached.
- Delete, copy, move, upload and download files in/to Dropbox
- Create folders in Dropbox
- Search for files/folders in Dropbox
- One way (dropbox to local) synchronization service
See also The synchronizing service
3 First login
The addon uses the OAuth 2.0 process for accessing the dropbox data. It means that you only have to login to dropbox once to get the authorization code for this addon. The addon uses this code to access your dropbox account. The authorization process:
- Start Dbmc addon and get your PIN
- Go to http://xbmc-dropbox.sourceforge.net, enter your PIN and press "Continu"
- Get the Dropbox code, enter the code and press "Continue"
- Click on the link to goto the Dropbox site
- Login and "Allow" Dbmc to access your files and folders
- The code is presented, copy this code
- Go back to this site and enter the Dropbox code and press "Continue"
- Go back to XBMC and start Dbmc again
The authorization is not fully finsihed yet. When the addon is started it will get the Dropbox code and finish the authorization. Then you should see your files and folders from your Dropbox account.
NOTE: this code has a limited lifetime, so don't wait too long with starting the addon again after step 3!
In case the access code got expired or you don't want to use the account anymore, you can reset automatic login by Removing the access code from the add-on settings menu. (Note: cached files are not removed with this action)
4 The synchronizing service
This service is a one way synchronization only! From Dropbox to local. So: No files will be added/uploaded to Dropbox, which are added locally. No Dropbox items will be removed or changed when removed or changed locally (on a new new sync they will be put back).
Important: If you are on a platform, for which the native Dropbox Application is available, use that! That is a much better working, more stable and more safe than this service. This service has been created for the platforms which are not supported by Dropbox (like Raspbmc). Check the official Dropbox site for their native Application.
- One way synchronization, from Dropbox to local.
- Synchronizing each 5 to 1440 (24 hours) minutes
It will synchronize on 'rounded' time intervals. E.g.: When selecting 60 minutes, synchronization takes place ever whole hour (09:00, 10:00, and so on)
- Synchronize all files/folders from your account or just select a folder from your account to synchronize
- Access (using) the synchronized files/folders when browsing in the Dbmc add-on
(The files in the synchronized folder are not cached or streamed, but used from the local location.)
- Instant synchronization when changes (delete, copy, move or uploaded) are made to the sync folder within the add-on.
- Show relevant files only: When enabled, only pictures are shown when starting the addon from the Pictures menu, only music is shown when starting from the Music menu and only video when starting from the Video menu.
- Location for cache files: You can define the location where the cached files (pictures (and thumbs), music and video) are stored.
- Stream video and music: When enabled, video and music files will not be cached, but directly streamed (when viewing) from Dropbox.
- Passcode: For added security, you can require a passcode (four-digit/password) to be entered any time the Dropbox addon is started. This way, you'll know your Dropbox is safe even if your XBMC is free accessable to others. Default there is no passcode (empty).
- Passcode timeout: the time the entered passcode stays valid. If the time has passed, the passcode has to be re-entered.
- Clear Dropbox accesscode: This will delete the Dropbox accesscode, which links the addon to your Dropbox account. When removed, the authorization needs to be done again to link the addon to your/another account.
- Activate: When enabled the synchronization of the selected Dropbox folder will be done in the background.
- Interval: Set the time frequency when to do the synchronization.
- Local folder: Select the location on XBMC where to synchronize the files/folders to.
- Dropbox folder: Select the Dropbox folder to synchronize to XBMC.
6 Some things you need to know
- The addon will default show a maximum of 200 items in a folder. If there are more, it will add an "Show me more..." item. If you select that, it will re-load with 400 items, and so on. This is done for performance reasons.
7 Reporting a bug
If you are having problems with the plugin or just have a question, please report it on the XBMC Dropbox addon support thread.